Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, NJ offers professional car battery replacement services. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Your car battery is crucial to starting your engine. It stores power produced by the alternator and runs the secondary electric systems such as your lights, radio, power seats, power windows, and extra electrical parts in your automobile. If your battery stops working, your car isn’t going to be going anywhere, so it’s important to keep an eye on it and have it replaced when it stops working properly.
When Should You Replace Your Car Battery?
If your car battery is waning or dead, you won’t need to guess what the problem is. In general, the issues of a bad car battery will be obvious and make themselves known right away. Here are just a few ways to tell that you need to replace your car battery:
- Your car doesn’t start. A new battery has a specified capacity to provide power. This capacity is referred to as the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) rating of the battery. As a battery ages, the actual amps that a battery can supply becomes lower than its original rating. Once the cranking amps fall below a critical threshold, it will be difficult or impossible to start your car.
- The battery or charging system warning light has turned on. Should a battery or charging system warning light illuminate, a mechanic should perform a few basic tests to determine if a battery replacement is needed.
- Electrical components don’t work. Once a battery has started to fail, and the voltage produced by the battery drops, then vehicle electrical components can malfunction, such as the security system. If you are experiencing electrical malfunctions, it’s a smart idea to have the battery tested.
How to Increase the Lifespan of Your Car Battery
To help increase the longevity of your car battery, we suggest the following:
- Clean and remove rust and add anti-corrosive protection
- Tighten up loosened hold-down clamps and terminals
- Test battery condition
- Check the alternator belt tension and wear and tear
- Don’t forget to shut down front lights, cabin lights, and radio when the car is not being used
Is it Safe to Drive with a Battery Problem?
Yes, but if you have a weak battery you might be left stranded somewhere if the battery dies completely and you cannot start your car. A faulty battery may also needlessly overload the alternator and could adversely affect the operation of the vehicle’s electrical system, including the vehicle security system and the shift interlock.
Visit Our Red Bank, NJ Shop For Car Battery Replacement
Call or contact Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, New Jersey today to schedule a car battery replacement Our ASE-certified mechanics have built a reputation for providing honest, professional auto services.