Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, NJ offers comprehensive, professional exhaust repair services. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Many people might think that the exhaust on their car is designed to reduce noise because it is the most obvious function. However, your car’s exhaust is largely responsible for reducing harmful emissions from entering the atmosphere. A muffler and exhaust system working as intended will not only make your car sound better, but will reduce emissions that are bad for your car, for you, and for the environment.
Your exhaust system is made up of a number of parts found at the front of the car near your engine, extending to the back of your car with the muffler. If any of these components that make up the exhaust system stop working, it can negatively impact your gas mileage and the air you are breathing. The exhaust repair experts at Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, NJ have experience dealing with issues in this complex system and can diagnose your issues quickly and get you back on the road ASAP. We are also fully licensed by the Motor Vehicle Commission to repair emissions failure.
How Does a Car’s Exhaust System Work?
The exhaust system begins at the front of your car, right behind your engine. Exhaust manifolds connect to the cylinder heads, where they collect exhaust gases. As the gases move through the exhaust system, they’re first analyzed by oxygen sensors, then refined by the catalytic converter and, finally, muffled by the muffler. This process is meant to make your car run smoother, cleaner, and quieter.
At Bradley’s Auto Service, we also build completely custom exhaust systems for our clients.
What Are The Signs That Your Car Needs Exhaust Repair
There are several things you should look out for that might indicate your exhaust system is no longer working as intended. At the first sight of any of the following issues, you should bring your vehicle into an experienced auto repair shop like Bradley’s Auto.
- The check engine light is on – The check engine light can come on for any number of reasons, and a faulty exhaust system is one of them. If the check engine light is ever flashing, that means it’s an urgent problem.
- Vibrations – If your car begins vibrating while driving, an exhaust issue may be the underlying cause and should be checked immediately.
- Strange noises – If the car gets unusually loud or there is any kind or rattling noises when you accelerate, it could be an exhaust system issue such as a muffler issue or a leak in one of the pipes.
- Strange smells – Fumes produced from your exhaust have an unpleasant odor, and if it gets really strong it can start to smell inside your vehicle. If it gets really bad it may mean there is an exhaust leak or the catalytic converter may be failing. In certain cases this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning so if you are experiencing these signs don’t take any chances.
- Decreased fuel efficiency – If you begin to notice you are getting less than your standard mileage with each tank of gas, it is in your best interest to have your vehicle checked out. It could save you money if they can diagnose an issue.
What Are The Benefits of Exhaust Repair?
Several benefits come with a freshly repaired exhaust system:
Better Fuel Efficiency
Regular maintenance of your vehicle’s exhaust system can significantly decrease fuel consumption. A damaged or clogged muffler causes a decline in fuel efficiency due to decreased airflow. Regular maintenance of the exhaust system is one way to preserve and improve your mileage.
Optimal engine performance requires a properly functioning exhaust system. Any damage or issues to your exhaust system may result in decreased engine power and torque production. It is recommended that these components are regularly checked in order to make sure they are in tip-top shape.
Driving with an exhaust system in disrepair is dangerous for you, your passengers, and potentially anyone else on the road. One example of a dangerous complication of a damaged exhaust system is the release of toxic carbon monoxide, which is exceptionally hazardous for your health.
How Much Does an Exhaust Repair Cost?
The cost of an exhaust repair will ultimately depend on what is causing an issue. Fixing a typical exhaust leak will be less expensive than if a part needs to be replaced. Since the system is comprised of different sections and mechanisms, generally only one part will need to be replaced, but it is possible that multiple parts will need to be replaced at the same time. To get a quote on repairs, consider bringing your car to an auto shop so a technician can take a look at your exhaust system.
Bradley’s Auto Provides Comprehensive Exhaust Repair Services in Red Bank, NJ
If you notice any issues with your exhaust, don’t wait for it to get worse. Call or contact Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, New Jersey, today to schedule a check-up or service. Our ASE-certified mechanics have built a reputation for providing honest, professional auto services. We have experience with all makes and models.