Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, NJ offers professional transmission repair and service. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Whether it’s sluggish shifting, a shaking clutch, or disconcerting sounds, issues with your transmission should never be ignored. Regardless of whether you drive an automatic or manual, if you suspect that your transmission is damaged or in disrepair, make it a priority to have it evaluated by our professionals.
Signs That Your Transmission Needs Repair Or Servicing
If you are experiencing any of the following issues, it may be evidence that your transmission is in need of repair or service:
- Difficulty or Delays When Changing Gears – if your car or truck seems sluggish when switching between gears, it is a common sign of transmission issues.
- Grinding or Shaking When Changing Gears – most commonly found with automatic transmissions, if you feel an abnormal grinding or shaking sensation when switching gears, the system may be in need of serious repair.
- Strange Sounds When in Neutral – unusual noises while in neutral may indicate that you have an issue with your transmission, such as low or old transmission fluid.
- Slipping Gears – if your vehicle suddenly slips out of gear, or you hear your engine roaring during a change, it’s a good sign there’s something going on with your transmission.
- Burning Smell – the smell of something burning is a serious symptom of vehicular issues, and may be caused by old or overheating transmission fluid.
- Check Engine Light – although notoriously vague, the “Check Engine” light could be triggered by a failing transmission, especially if you are experiencing other transmission-related symptoms.
- Clutch Pedal Feels Unusual – exclusive to those with manual transmissions, if your clutch pedal begins to feel or behave differently than you are used to, it may be worth getting your transmission checked out.
What Causes Transmission Problems?
Whether you have an automatic or manual transmission, there are a variety of possible causes for your system’s woes:
- Low or Leaking Fluid – if your transmission fluid is low, it will not function properly. Chronically low levels may also be evidence of a leak, which can lead to expensive repairs if not dealt with quickly.
- Lack of Maintenance – it seems obvious, but a lack of maintenance (or failure to adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations about maintenance) is a leading cause among transmission failures.
- Electrical or Computer – modern transmission systems use complex electronics to function, and if those electronics (or associated computers) begin to fail, so, too, will your transmission.
How Often Should You Have Your Transmission System Checked?
For automatic transmissions, it’s recommended that you have the functionality and fluid levels checked every 15 months and/or 15,500 miles. For manual transmissions, we suggest having your fluid levels checked at every other oil change. Getting check-ups at regular intervals such as these gives our mechanics the opportunity to detect any developing issues and prevent them from getting worse over time.
Visit Our Red Bank, NJ Shop For Transmission Repair
If you know or suspect that your vehicle’s transmission isn’t working properly, don’t wait to have it checked out. Call or contact Bradley’s Auto in Red Bank, New Jersey today to schedule repair or service for either automatic or manual transmissions. Our ASE-certified mechanics have built a reputation for providing honest, professional auto services, and will be able to help solve your vehicle’s problems.