Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, NJ offers professional engine rebuild service near you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Your vehicle’s engine works hard for you, and over time, all that hard work can wear it down. Eventually, your engine might degrade to where it needs a rebuild, especially if it has not kept up with regular maintenance or oil changes.
If you suspect your engine is damaged or in need of a rebuild, make it a priority to have it evaluated by our professionals before it’s too late. Our mechanics will quickly and accurately assess any suspected issues with your engine, and come up with a game plan to help it get back to its former self, including our engine rebuilding service.
Signs That You Might Need To Rebuild The Engine
If you are experiencing any of the following issues, it may be evidence that your engine has suffered serious wear and needs a rebuild:
- Loud Knocking Sounds – loud knocking sounds show worn bearings, which can lead to the damage or destruction of your engine if not dealt with promptly.
- Notable Oil Consumption – if your vehicle is consuming oil at an abnormal rate, it may be a sign that your engine needs a rebuild, as worn piston rings could be to blame.
- Smoky Exhaust – a significant presence of (typically white) smoke in the exhaust is another sign of worn piston rings. Smoky exhaust, when coupled with increased oil consumption, is one of the most common indicators that your engine needs a rebuild.
- Metal Shavings – if you find what appear to be metal shavings in your vehicle’s oil, it likely means that your engine’s bearings seriously need replacement.
- Low Engine Compression – misfires, low gas mileage and general loss of power are all signs of low engine compression, which itself is a sign of considerable engine wear.
Why Do I Need An Engine Rebuild?
The need (and underlying reason) for an engine rebuild is usually tied to two specific causes:
- Worn Engine Bearings – your engine’s rods, pistons, and other moving parts are all mounted on lubricated bearings. These bearings wear down over time and will eventually need to be replaced, or you risk the total loss of your engine.
- Worn or Improperly Seated Piston Rings – Piston rings are used to create a seal between a piston and cylinder, locking in the gas generated by burning gasoline, and they also have a part in regulating oil consumption. As they wear down, you may experience “blow-by,” which is when oil leaks from the rings and burns up with the fuel in the cylinder, generating the excess smoke that is emblematic of the issue.
Engine Rebuild vs. Engine Replacement
The choice between getting an engine rebuild or an engine replacement can depend on several factors, such as cost, but in terms of necessity, it mainly comes down to the scope and severity of the engine’s damage. If the damage is minor or relatively contained, a rebuild could very well be your best option. However, if your engine has severe damage, such as cracks or openings, it’s unlikely a rebuild will be sufficient, and a replacement might be your only choice.
Consider Bringing Your Car in For Engine Maintenance
Even if you don’t see any obvious signs of engine problems, having a professional mechanic perform a routine inspection is a good habit. Some people have their vehicles checked once or twice a year like clockwork, whereas others will schedule to have service done after a few thousand miles. Either way, getting into regular maintenance routine is one of the best ways to ensure the longevity of your engine.
Visit Our Red Bank, NJ Shop For Professional Engine Rebuilders Near You
If you know or suspect that your vehicle’s engine needs a rebuild, don’t wait to have it checked out by our professionals. Call or contact Bradley’s Auto in Red Bank, New Jersey today to schedule an appointment. Our ASE-certified mechanics have built a reputation for providing honest, professional auto services, and will help solve your vehicle’s problems.