Bradley’s Auto Service in Red Bank, NJ offers professional steering column repair and service. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!
Whether it’s a strange sound or sluggish handling, issues with your steering column and power steering system should never be ignored. If you suspect that your steering column is damaged or in disrepair, make it a priority to have it evaluated by our professionals.
Signs That Your Steering Column May Need Repair Or Servicing
If you are experiencing any of the following issues, it may be evidence that your steering is in need of repair or service:
- Difficulty steering – if steering feels heavy or sluggish, or if it requires abnormal effort, there may be an underlying issue.
- Strange noises – if you hear unusual sounds, like squeaks or whines, while steering, it may be an indication of a problem.
- Discolored and/or bubbly fluid – power steering fluid that is bubbly or discolored means it is old and needs to be flushed, as it can begin to damage the steering system if left alone.
What Causes Steering Problems?
When it comes to the source of your steering woes, there are a variety of possible causes:
- Low or leaking fluid – if your power steering fluid is low, it will not function properly. Low levels of power steering fluid may also be evidence of a leak, which will lead to indefinite performance issues unless addressed.
- Damaged pump – a failing or damaged power steering pump usually produces unusual noises and increased steering difficulty, eventually leading to a total loss of steering assist.
- Electrical issues – modern power steering systems use complex electronics to function, and if these electronics begin to fail, so, too, will your steering.
- Damaged or worn out power steering belt – if the belt that controls the steering fluid pump is in disrepair, it can cause sluggish handling.
How Often Should You Have Your Power Steering System Checked?
A good rule of thumb is to have your steering functionality and fluid levels checked at every oil change. This gives our mechanics regular opportunities to detect any developing issues and prevent them from getting worse over time.
Steering Column Repair Near Me: Visit Our Red Bank, NJ Shop
If you know or suspect that your vehicle’s steering column isn’t working properly, don’t wait to have it checked out. Call or contact Bradley’s Auto in Red Bank, New Jersey today to schedule steering repair or service. Our ASE certified mechanics have built a reputation for providing honest, professional auto services.